김수영 2.jpg

앞줄 왼쪽부터알리 에사시 연방의원권태한 부총영사김수영 목사도나 켄스필드 전 온타리오 자연자원부장관,                                                      김명숙김연수 전 평통 회장 부부뒷줄 중앙에 김만홍 목사와 딘 스코필드(스코필드 박사 손자 부부)

한국 ‘3.1운동의 민족대표 34’ 프랭크 스코필드 박사 부인 고 엘리스 딕슨 스코필드(1889-1959) 여사의 묘비 제막식이 5월 11(오후 토론토 마운트 플레전트 세미터리에서 열렸다.

스코필드재단(대표 김만홍주최로 열린 이날 행사에는 스코필드 박사의 후손과 제자재단 관계자 등이 참석했다.

엘리스 여사는 한국 독립운동의 34인으로 알려진 캐나다 선교사 스코필드 박사의 부인으로 결혼 후 1916년부터 남편의 선교사 활동을 위해 한국에서 생활했다음악과 예술에 조예가 깊었던 그녀는 일제하에 남편인 스코필드 박사의 독립운동 활동으로 인한 일제의 위협과 협박을 견디지 못하고 임신한 상태에서 정신질환을 얻어 고생하다 치료를 위해 캐나다로 돌아온 후 첫째 아이를 낳은 후 40년간 정신질환 보호소에서 고생하다 1959년에 생을 마감했다. 

스코필드 박사의 후손들과 연락을 해오던 김만홍 목사는 지난해 손자인 딘 스코필드로부터 할머니의 묘를 찾았다는 소식을 전해들었다.여사의 묘가 비석조차 없이 쓸쓸하게 잊혀져가고 있는 것을 알게된 스코필드 재단에서 고인의 고난과 역경을 기리고 감사한 마음으로 비석을 세우게 된 것이다.

제막식은 김 목사의 진행으로 오프닝고인과 스코필드 박사의 업적에 대해 나누고 그의 정신을 기리기 위한 순서로 이어졌다.

이 행사에는 권태한 부총영사알리 애사시 연방의원과도나 켄스필드 전 온타리오 자연자원부장관 등 친한 정치인들도 참석했다.

미국 로스앤젤레스에서 딸과 손녀와 함께 이번 제막식에 참석한 스코필드박사의 제자인 김수영 목사는 스코필드 박사가 서울대 수의학과 명예교수로 강의를 할 당시 성경공부를 할 때 학생으로 만나게 되었다며 평생 잊을 수 없은 은인이라고 회고했다김 목사는 이번에 재단에 미화 3,000달러를 기부하기도 했다.

한편 캐나다 한인사회는 스코필드 박사를 추모하는 여러 활동을 하고 있다. 토론토 동물원에 스코필드 박사의 동상을 세웠고, 스코필드장학재단은 구엘프 대학에 장학기금을 지원해왔다.

김수영 3.jpg

김수영 4.jpg

캐나다 주재 권태한 부총영사와 김만홍 목사와 딸과 손녀 딸과 함께

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Rev. Soo Yong Kim

It brings me great pleasure to see all of you gathered here today.

We are assembled to commemorate the placement of the late Mrs. Schofield's grave-marker and epitaph.

I extend my heartfelt thanks to Rev. David Kim who is president of Schofield Foundation in Canada and invited me to the unveiling ceremony for grave-marker placement of Mrs. Schofield who was buried in this graveyard.

I came from Los Angeles in California. I am an immigrant from Korea. When I was in Korea, I met Dr. Schofield 66 years ago. He was one of the greatest men whom I have ever met. He is my unforgettable Uncle Frank. He had an incredible beauty in his mind, heart, soul and spirit.

I came here to celebrate the unveiling ceremony for late Mrs. Schofield. My heart was full of deep emotion thinking of Dr. Schofield. I feel sympathetic with her deeply.

Although I never had the opportunity to meet her, it is evident that she endured illness throughout her life. My heart goes out to her, understanding the depth of her love for Dr. Schofield. Indeed, she accompanied Dr. Schofield to Korea as a medical missionary, demonstrating her unwavering commitment to their shared mission for Christ.

I pay tribute to the remarkable lives of both her and Dr. Schofield as I captured the essence of their dedication to their mission and their impact on the lives of the Korean people, particularly during challenging times.

During their time in Korea, the nation was under Japanese occupation, enduring severe oppression and economic devastation. Mrs. Schofield must have faced immense challenges given this historical context. Her resilience and dedication to the mission are truly commendable, and I sympathize with her struggles as a woman in such trying circumstances.

I deeply admire Mrs. Schofield's perseverance and self-sacrifice for the cause of Christ. Despite the challenges she faced, she played a crucial role alongside Dr. Schofield in advancing their mission and supporting Korean independence efforts.

I extend my heartfelt gratitude for her contributions, and I am honored to be present for this ceremony. Furthermore, it is a joy to see Dr. Schofield's grandchildren here today. You must be immensely proud of your grandparents, whose remarkable lives continue to be celebrated and revered by the Korean people.

Allow me to share a few memories of Dr. Schofield as I knew him. I first met him in 1958 at the Foreign Teacher's House within the Seoul National University Medical School compound. Despite his physical limitations, he exuded warmth and kindness. Over time, our bond grew stronger, and he affectionately referred to himself as my uncle, a sentiment that filled me with joy.

Dr. Schofield not only taught me the Bible but also instilled in me a deep faith in Jesus Christ. His commitment to helping the less fortunate was evident through his tireless efforts to secure scholarships for underprivileged Korean students and orphans. His compassion touched me deeply, especially in the aftermath of the Korean War, when many were in dire need of support.

Thanks to Dr. Schofield's advocacy, countless students were able to pursue their education and contribute to the development of South Korea. His impact on the nation's progress and democracy is immeasurable, reflecting his unwavering dedication to justice and righteousness.

Dr. Schofield's character was truly remarkable – a beacon of love and compassion and hope for the Korean people. His gestures of kindness, such as sending postcards from his travels and presenting me with dried Edelweiss flowers, are cherished memories that I hold dear to this day.

I offer my utmost respect, admiration and reverence to Dr. and Mrs. Schofield. Presence of Dr. Schofield’s grandchildren emphasize the importance of passing down their story and values to future generations.

May their legacy continue to inspire and bless us all.

In conclusion, I would like to share my testimony about Jesus Christ. Before I met Dr. Schofield, I was a Buddhist, as was my mother.

Upon meeting Dr. Schofield and participating in Bible study with him, I embraced Christianity. Since then, I have shared the Gospel with my mother and my entire family, and they have accepted Jesus Christ as their savior.

In Him, you will find abundant life and eternal salvation.

God bless each and every one of you!