Vietnam, the Youngest Country in the World

by Connie Kim

The beginning of my trip was full of anticipation. The first destination from the five-hour flight from Incheon Airport was in Da Nang, Vietnam. With the development of commerce and the construction of resorts and hotel complexes, it has rapidly emerged as the fifth largest city in Vietnam  and a popular tourist destination. Though the air was humid, the city itself was polished and clean. The customs here are said to be quite akin to that in Korea. What I found truly unfamiliar, however, was the transportation culture. People on motorcycles were prone to driving on the wrong side of the road. The reverberations of war are still quite notable in their reduced elderly population. One American dollar is equivalent to 23,000 dongs, the currency of Vietnam – an exchange that is very advantageous for Americans. The best time to schedule a trip is during their dry season, running from March to July, though you’d have to brave the heat and humidity of the region. I went instead in December, within the midst of their rainy season that ranges from August until February.

I stayed at a vast and luxurious five-star hotel, and found that their food was well suited to Korean taste. The next day, I took a 30-minute bus ride to Hoian. I found its small shops reminiscent of those in Korea, like Insa-dong in the 80s, and perfect to revel in a romantic lantern-lit night. While enjoying the beautiful colors of the night time, from the reflection of the trees in the Tubon River, to the shadows of the buildings lights, couples made wishes on candles floating on boats. This place feels alive with gods and humans, life and death, history and culture. It is a realm where the past, present, and future coexist. That night by the Tubon River mesmerized patrons with its mythical energy. Most being Korean, I wondered if they were the reason why K-pop resonated loudly around the river. It was buzzing from the colorful lanterns and food to the souvenirs. I bought some cups adorned with depictions of an Aozai donning woman to commemorate my trip.

In Old Town, the impressive Tan Ky House is a 200-year-old building that boasts multicultural inspiration from its residential neighbors. It possesses the roof tiles of China, eaves of Japan, and pillars of its home in Vietnam. The entire domicile is open to tourists, save for the bedroom of the house where up to seven generations of descendants live. Situated in the wet, rainy country, slow corrosion ate away at each wall of the building like age spots blooming on the face of the elderly. Thereafter, UNESCO guided us to a place of gratifying aesthetics, wherein folk performances and dances utilizing traditional instruments were displayed, complimentary to the public. A country heavily influenced by China, I could even feel its overseas presence in the history of this city. It is said that Hoian ceramics became widely acclaimed within the flourishing trade of this beautiful city, where Eastern and Western cultures coexist.

I also visited the Ba Na Hill National Park for the second time. An essential destination, it was located 1,487 meters above sea level and required a cable car ride of 5.2 kilometers to get there, making it the second longest in the world. After a leisurely ride of enjoying the speed and breathtaking scenery that overlooked the winding mountain, I reached the entrance of Ba Na Hill. It was like a small Europe hiding on the peak of a mountain, with clouds under its feet. The temperature near this summit dropped sharply, but the mist and clouds were reminiscent of landscape paintings. I felt like the sky was mere inches away, and the flowers and trees around me were spectacular. This place, an emerging resort, was an antique castle built within the brilliance of nature during the French occupation. I decided to visit Bana Hills, the city under the sky, a place where I can let my imagination soar infinitely, again someday. In the past, I thought happiness could only be found within a profusion of worldly items, but when I looked at the flora and the infinite sky, I felt true fulfillment was nearby. I felt fortunate to experience its unexpected healing, a gift that would sooner or later disappear from this world.

Finally, we concluded with a trip to the pink cathedral, or the Chicken Church, named after the statue upon its roof of a chicken on a cross. During the French colonial period, it was the only cathedral built in the entirety of Da Nang, and is now a famous photo spot given its unique architecture. The cathedral holds many martyrs and I pray for the fortitude of the Catholic Church in the midst of its conflicts with Buddhism. Da Nang, a city of romance with strong ties to human history, lush with landscapes and nature where the air flows serenely, and whose people are still pure; I hope it never changes.